Firefly Gathering’s 2018 location will be in beautiful Leicester, NC
Photo credits: Robert J. Baker
Farm at Green Heron Pond
Nestled in the mountains of Western North Carolina, the Farm at Green Heron Pond offers a serene, natural setting for gatherings. Fifty acres of rolling pastures and woods surround the Green Heron Pond. Large grassy fields and coves give groups choices for meetings, performances and ceremonies. Wildflower gardens, wooded trails, and the banks of a trickling creek offer places of solitude and habitats for the birds, deer, rabbits, and butterflies that make the farm their home. The fire pit and meadows are magical places for gathering, star gazing and enjoying the songs of the evening creatures.
The Farm at Green Heron Pond is located just 18 minutes from the center of Asheville, NC, at 181 Browntown Road in Leicester, North Carolina. Please refrain from inspecting the location before the event, as the private residents who live there deserve their peace and privacy.
The little red map marker says 2017, but it’s still the same place as last year. Be sure to read disclaimer if you plan to use GPS or a GoogleMap.
Event Site Maps
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see an overview map of this year’s gathering and an inset map of Downtown showing where most of the class sessions will be held. You’ll receive printed maps when you reach the Registration Tent.
Directions to Firefly Gathering from downtown Asheville, NC
- Cross the Capt. Jeff Bowen Bridge (Patton Avenue bridge) toward West Asheville. Stay straight off bridge (stay in two left lanes). Go a couple of miles on Patton Avenue, staying in the right lane and looking for Ingles Supermarket on your right.
- Turn right at light onto New Leicester Highway (Rt. 63) heading toward Leicester.
- In about 4 miles, there is a stoplight. See ANOTHER Ingles Supermarket on your right and a Walgreens Pharmacy on your left. Go straight through that stop light.
- The first stop light AFTER that Ingles Supermarket is Newfound Road.
- Take a left on Newfound Road and go about 2 miles. Look for an intersection immediately before a small gas station–country store on your right called Old Newfound Groceries.
- Turn right onto Browntown Road. BE CAREFUL: This is the intersection where people can get lost, as there is a third road at this intersection (Old Newfound Road). You want to stay on Browntown Road, which is the road that runs slightly downhill directly to the right of Old Newfound Groceries.
- On Browntown Road, drive just over one mile. On your right, you will pass the sign reading Farm at Green Heron Pond. If you have a FULL PASS or a TWO-DAY PASS, make a right into the Firefly Gathering.
- If you have a DAY PASS or an RV, keep driving to the next driveway on your right. At this second driveway, see a yellow house. Just before the yellow house, there are two mailboxes. One is #181 and the other is #185. You want the unpaved road that runs between the two mailboxes.
Directions from points West on Interstate-40 (i.e., you are traveling East on I-40)
- Take Exit 33 and make a left off the exit ramp onto Newfound Road.
- Go about 8 miles and make a left onto Browntown Road. If you get to the Grace Chapel Church on the right, you went a little too far. Turn around.
- Continue on Browntown Road for about 1 mile to reach mailbox #181 on your left.
- If you have a DAY PASS or an RV, see a yellow house on the left, followed by two mailboxes. One is #181 and the other is #185. You want the unpaved road that runs between the two mailboxes.
- If you have a FULL PASS or a TWO-DAY PASS, continue straight to the next unpaved road on your left, and turn left into it.
GPS and GoogleMaps Disclaimer:
If you use a GPS or GoogleMaps to get to 181 Browntown, both of them will tell you to turn into Shallow Branch Road. Ignore this. Follow the directions above.
PAY ATTENTION! Look for Firefly signage and parking attendants directing traffic.
How you can arrange car-pooling:
We are charging for parking this year. $15 for a parking pass for the entire event or any part of the event if you are alone in your vehicle. $10 for two people in the vehicle. $5 for three people in the vehicle. Four or more people in the vehicle get a FREE parking pass. We have set up a special car-pool system at this dedicated link designed exclusively for Firefly attendees: http://www.groupcarpool.com/t/vq20x5
It’s very user-friendly. You can create (add) a “car” and then other people can join the car. If no car is already available for you to join, then you can create a new car or put your names on a “wait list”. Drivers can pull names from the wait list to add to the cars. The program automatically notifies drivers and riders by email of all transactions. Everything is totally user controlled. The only thing Firefly does is monitor the overall program and troubleshoot if necessary. It’s not set up to require phone numbers (on purpose), but drivers and riders can exchange phone numbers via email if they want to.